Today is Shrove Tuesday or Pancake Day so thought I would share this recipe which makes lovely light thin pancakes in no time at all. This is a basic traditional recipe – the no frills version from www.allrecipes.co.uk.
250g plain flour
1/4 tsp salt
2 large eggs
Knob of butter for frying
Choice of Toppings: Caster Sugar, Lemon, Maple Syrup, Golden Syrup, Whipped Cream etc
1. Sift the flour and salt into a mixing bowl (Remember I never sift and they were fine!)
2. Break the eggs into a bowl and then add to flour
3. Pour in half of the milk and whisk briskly – using an electric handheld beater or food processor makes this step easier
4. Add the remaining milk and whisk until the batter is smooth
5. Heat an small pan over a low heat. Add a small knob of butter and swirl the pan to coat the bottom
6. Use a ladle to spoon the pancake batter into the pan, then tilt the pan to spread the mixture out evenly
7. As it sets, shake the pan to see if the pancake is loose, then flip it over with a palette knife. Cook the other side for 30 seconds -then shake again to see if it’s loose
8. Slide onto a warm plate, sprinkle over some sugar and a squeeze of lemon juice – then eat immediately!
9. Cook the rest of the pancakes, one at a time but remember to melt a small knob of butter before adding the batter
I hope you enjoy this lovely light pancake recipe. Remember to follow me on Facebook or Twitter to keep up to date with more lovely recipes & fun kids activities too!
Have a wonderful day 🙂