Sometimes you just want something simple, sweet and pretty to make in a hurry – well this is it, it’s my cheats version of a Marshmallow Slice!
This Marshmallow slice is so easy you can whip it up in no time! Despite there being a few steps involved it is baked in under 30 minutes, allow to set overnight and you will have a delicious, cute and sweet treat to share with friends and family.
The idea came to me last night as I was staring into the cupboard hoping to get hit with some inspiration and my hand kept straying to the open marshmallow packet from my last blog post. As I was mindlessly nibbling them I thought yes – what about a cheats marshmallow slice! I have a BEAUTIFUL version you can find here – with a delicious buttery shortcake and a massive fluffy marshmallow topping that I definitely recommend you try – but in the mean time next time you want a quick treat try this version.
All it takes is whipping up a quick shortbread base, topping with strawberry jam and then finishing off with a packet of marshmallows and a sprinkling of coconut. Be sure to allow time for the slice to completely cool or you can imagine the mess you might end up with when you try and slice it! I found slicing it to be really easy, I used a large sharp knife and cleaned with hot water and a dry towel between slices.
So that is all! Check out the recipe below.
- 120 grams Butter (Room Temp)
- ⅔ Cup of Caster Sugar (Superfine sugar)
- 2 Egg Yolks
- 1 Cup Plain White Flour
- ¼ Cup Self Raising Flour
- ⅓ Cup Strawberry Jam
- 180 Gram Packet Pink & White Marshmallows (I used Pascalls)
- 2-3 Tablespoons Desiccated Coconut
- Preheat the oven to 200C (390F)
- Prepare a slice tin (23cm x 23cm) with baking paper - ensure high sides and paper goes up above the tin on both sides
- In a mixing bowl, using a food mixer or beaters, combine the butter and caster sugar and whip until pale and creamy (approx 4 minutes)
- Seperate the egg yolks from the whites, discard the whites.
- Add the egg yolks to the butter sugar mixture and beat in well
- Carefully fold in the plain flour and self raising flour
- Bake for 10 minutes and remove from the oven (it will begin to rise)
- Dollop small amounts of the jam all over the hot base, once it begins to melt spread all over with the back of a spoon gently
- Return to the oven for 5 minutes
- Then place the marshmallows in alternating patterns until fully covered
- Return to the oven for 8 minutes until soft and spreading but only pale golden colour
- Sprinkle with coconut and set aside to fully cool (overnight) before slicing with a warm knife, cleaning in between each slice.
- Serve & Enjoy!
Take care making this one, as you are handling the slice tin a few times while it and the ingredients are hot! Both the base and the topping with rise quite a bit but it settles down once cooled.
So there you have it, quick simple and kinda cool! This slice will definitely stand out among the others at your next gathering.
Thanks so much for stopping by to check out this recipe. There are many hundreds more recipes available by searching the above tabs to see what you might like to try next.
Happy Baking! Anna