This No Bake slice has been my favourite since I was a little girl. I love the combination of the buttery zesty biscuit base and a sweet citrusy icing, it really is just divine!
There are so many variations of this recipe around, but really it is so simple, a no bake slice that takes very little time to put together. Many versions are Lemon only, but I prefer the sweeter combination of lemon and orange, however you could easily create just a Lemon Slice or an Orange Slice and they will equally taste divine! I used one lemon and one orange for this recipe, using half the zest of both in the base and the remaining zest in the icing, and the same with the juice.
It is so easy to crush biscuits in a food processor but many people do not have one, so a strong plastic or ziplock bag secured carefully and a rolling pin (or anything big and suitable for smashing) is the prefect alternative. Placing a tea towel over the bag will help avoid the bag being ripped by the sharp cookie crumbs. Just think you can take out the days frustrations on some cookies! It does not matter if the crushed cookie crumbs are different sizes, adds to the texture but as long as most are crushed you will be fine!
So without further ado, here is the recipe, I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!
- ½ Tin Sweetened Condensed Milk (190 grams)
- 100g Butter, Melted
- 1 Packet of Plain Biscuits, 250 grams (I use Superwine)
- 1 Cup Desiccated Coconut
- 1 Lemon - Only need 1 Tablespoon juice for Base
- 1 Orange
- (Optional to use both or either)
- 2 Cups Icing Sugar
- 1 TBSP Butter, melted
- Remaining Rind
- Remaining Juice (see recipe below)
- Zest or Coconut to Finish
- Prepare a 23cm square tin with baking paper, I spray baking spray first to help paper stick (size will impact height of slice so up to you!)
- Zest the lemon and orange using a fine grater and set aside
- Juice both the lemon and the orange together, drain the juice and set aside.
- Melt the condensed milk and butter together, either on the stove top gently or in the microwave in 30 second bursts in a covered microwave proof bowl, until butter completely melted.
- Crush the biscuits into a fine crumb (see above for methods)
- Add the coconut, melted butter/condensed milk mixture to the food processor and blend well.
- Add half the prepared zest to the base and 1 Tablespoon of juice to the base mixture and combine well.
- Pour the base mixture into the prepared tin, smooth out with the back of a spoon or your hand and refrigerate.
- In a medium bowl add the icing sugar, remaining zest and melted butter and gently stir.
- Add the remaining citrus juices a teaspoon at a time, mixing well, until you have the desired consistency, you may use an extra lemon for its juice or water if not wet enough
- Pour the icing over the base once slightly cooled and spread evenly
- Sprinkle with citrus zest or coconut and return to the fridge overnight or for at least 2 hours before slicing with a sharp warm knife to serve.
- Store in an airtight container.
So as you can see, it is as simple as creating a base and icing! Lovely and quick and a gorgeous burst of flavour for those friends and family that love an alternative to chocolate!
I hope you enjoy this lovely no cook slice, feel free to share any of my recipes with your friends and family. You can follow me on Facebook and also subscribe with your email address above right to receive each of my recipes as I publish them!
Happy Baking, Anna 😀