What I am starting to learn with my recipes on the Just A Mum Website is that people love gorgeous, decadent recipes, that sometimes more is more with your sweet treats and I am delighted to oblige!
In honour of reaching 6,000 followers on my Facebook page I am releasing this divine slice recipe just for you! If you are not already a follower then head on over to check out Just A Mum Facebook Page.
This Caramel Slice is a gorgeously simple recipe, it includes only a few ingredients and despite it taking a little longer with individual layers it is not as difficult as you imagine!
The flavours are gorgeous too! There is nothing worse than buying a caramel slice in a cafe only to find it is low on caramel flavour, high on sweetness but no depth or richness that you hope for!
This is just like the caramel slice I had when I was growing up, and the taste that I rarely find in a store bought variety!
This time I have used a slightly different chocolate topping, using a Peanut and Pretzel chocolate by Cadbury, but you can use any good quality chocolate you choose! I prefer to use a good brand of milk chocolate rather than cooking chocolate as I think it gives them a gorgeous flavour but please feel free to use cooking chocolate – after all that is what it is made for! Dark or Milk, the choice is up to you! I prefer Milk Chocolate but I love that creamy silky flavour.
There really is something special about this recipe, but I can let you in on a little secret…….I have simply doubled the caramel from my normal Caramel Slice! So if it seems a little too decadent for your liking feel free to use the original recipe here.
A few handy tips:
- Bake the base until just golden, it still needs to be baked again so don’t overdo it the first time
- The caramel filling can and will catch on the bottom of the sauce pan! A little is ok (you can see from mine the speckles) but if it burns it will alter the flavour
- The caramel filling can look a little too dark when you get it out of the oven, it’s ok, dark not burnt though, there is a difference!
- You will feel an oddly heightened sense of joy when eating this slice, this is totally normal and you should share it with your friends.
So without further ado, here is the recipe!! Enjoy and make it for someone you love soon.
- 1 Cup Flour, sifted (I rarely sift anything so don't feel you have to...)
- ½ Cup Brown Sugar, packed
- ½ Cup Desiccated Coconut
- 125g Butter, melted
- 2 x 400g Can Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 4 Tbsp Golden Syrup
- 120g Butter, melted
- 125g cooking chocolate or your favourite dark or milk chocolate.
- Preheat Oven to 180C (355F)
- Line a baking pan or slice tin (25 x 25) with baking paper
- Melt butter in a pan or microwave it in 40 second bursts in a covered bowl.
- Combine flour, brown sugar & coconut in a small bowl.
- Pour butter into dry ingredients and mix well.
- Carefully spoon your base mixture into the slice tin and firmly press down to evenly cover bottom of the tin.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until just golden brown and set aside to cool
- Melt the second measure of butter in a bowl in the microwave or stove top
- In a medium saucepan or pot combine condensed milk, melted butter & golden syrup.
- Stir over a low to medium heat for 8 minutes, until mixture boils, thickens and changes to a slightly darker colour - it may catch so take care to stir often and thoroughly around the entire sides and base of the saucepan
- Pour the filling over the prepared base and pop back in the oven for a further 12 minutes, until filling is dark in colour and firm.
- Set aside to cool then pop in the fridge for 3-4 hours to ensure completely cooled.
- Melt chocolate in a double boiler (a bowl over hot water) or in the microwave in 20 second bursts stirring in between.
- Pour chocolate over the caramel filling and spread evenly using a knife or back of a spoon.
- Refrigerate to set.
- When slicing - get the slice out of the fridge 10-20 minutes before slicing into squares to ensure the top does not crack.
- Enjoy! Store in an airtight container.
So as you can see it is a lovely simple recipe using simple ingredients and packing a HUGE flavour punch!
I hope you love this recipe as much as I do, thank you so much for stopping by. You can follow me on Facebook to see more of my recipes and also subscribe on the right hand side of my page to receive an email each time I publish a new recipe!