How good do these cookies look! They are made with Instant Pudding and it gives them a lovely soft texture almost like a brownie but light and oh so chocolatey!! I have been wanting to try an instant pudding cookie for a while and decided I would play around with my own Best Ever Chewy Chocolate Chip Recipe and with a few slight alterations I think this one is a winner! I cannot wait to play around with more flavours, I bet butterscotch would be divine 🙂
I grew up with Instant Pudding as a go to dessert – quick to whisk up with milk and sets in no time – but the label says instant dessert – its another name for the same thing – a lovely easy mousse and an easy favourite pudding of my 3 kids that Dad can make!
I ended up simply adding the instant pudding to the cookie dough, as well as some more cocoa to make it a richer taste and colour. I added two whole eggs for a little extra moisture as well as reducing the sugar slightly to take into account the sweetness of the pudding.
As with my other recipe – you need to chill the dough once made so add this into your prep time 🙂
I have finally found a recipe sheet to make it easier when you are baking from any of my recipes in order to print it out – so let me know what you think! 🙂
- 170g unsalted butter, softened or melted (I actually just use ordinary as I don’t often have unsalted)
- ¾ Cup packed brown sugar
- ¼ cup white sugar
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 packet of Greggs Chocolate Instant Pudding (or similar, not diet)
- ¼ cup cocoa
- 2 Cups plain flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups chocolate chips (can use a combination of choc chips, choc bits, white or dark choc bits, big chunks of your favourite block of chocolate – up to you!)
- Preheat oven to 165 degrees C (or 330 Fahrenheit)
- Lightly spray baking tray then lay baking paper on top (I find this the BEST method – baking paper sticks and no extra oil on cookies)
- In a food mixer mix melted butter, brown sugar and white sugar until well blended – colour will start to change - approximately 4 minutes
- Beat in vanilla, eggs until mixture light and creamy - a further 2 minutes
- Add the instant pudding and cocoa and combine for a further minute
- Add the flour, baking soda and salt and mix until just combined.
- Stir in the chocolate chips (you can do this step by hand or in mixer)
- Spoon out a tablespoon sized amount and roll into balls and pop onto tray about an inch or two apart
- Flatten the balls with the palm of your hand slightly
- Put the tray in the fridge for at least an hour - or overnight to chill mixture to ensure they do not spread when cooking.
- Bake in oven for 10-13 minutes - they will still be soft in the middle but slightly cooked on the outside.
- After they have almost cooled on the tray transfer to a wire rack until completely cooled.
- Make sure that for quality control purposes you eat one cookie about 5 minutes after they come out of the oven, you may need to try up to 3 to ensure its a suitable for general consumption!
- Store in an airtight container for up to 5 days
I hope you enjoy this new recipe from my wee kitchen to yours. Feel free to follow me on any of my social medias and share with your friends.
I love to hear from you so let me know if you give this one a try!