The Best Ever Chocolate Cake – this is a big call, but I can guarantee you will LOVE this chocolate cake. It is so easy to make but creates the most beautiful luxurious chocolate cake that suits any occasion.
When I first started my blog I put up my two favourite chocolate cake recipes, but because they were my very first few posts ever, I thought it was time to update them with new images and some easier to read formatting!
Three years later this is still one of my very favourite cakes. In fact we love it so much we normally make it double this size and either make two cakes or bake it in our roasting pan so that we can freeze half for another day.
Do you line your tins when you are baking? I tend to mainly use cooking spray, as most of my tins are non stick, however if I am ever in any doubt I will at least line the bottom with baking paper and spray this and the sides of the tin. Allowing your cakes to sit until they are quite cool before you turn them onto a wire rack will also help.
You will see the ingredients are so very simple, yet together make it like heaven on a cake stand! Yes it has lots of sugar, yes it has lots of cocoa, but this is what makes it so very special!!
The cake is so delicious rich and moist that it is quite delicate after first baking. That being said if you allow it to completely chill overnight or use two cakes to create a tall masterpiece then you can easily make stunning creations with this one too. It gets better over time too!
Today I have iced this with my basic chocolate icing, you can be as creative here as you like! This cake is beautiful with a chocolate ganache, buttercream or even use it as a base for a fondant cake.
As you can see from my video it is super simple to make simply adding together the wet and dry ingredients. It does make a very wet mixture so definitely expect that.
Try it as cupcakes, baking for around 20 minutes and you will have some of the best chocolate cupcakes ever!
And now onto the recipe, you will LOVE it!
- 1¾ Cups Plain White Flour
- 1¾ Cups Sugar
- ¾ Cup Cocoa Powder
- 1½ teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1½ teaspoons Baking Soda
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 2 Eggs
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Essence
- ½ Cup Oil (I use Canola)
- 1 Cup Milk
- 1 Cup Boiling Water
- 1½ Cups Icing Sugar
- 1½ Tablespoons Cocoa Powder
- 1 teaspoon Butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Essence
- 1-3 Tablespoons Water
- Preheat oven to 160C (320F)
- Prepare a 25 x 25 cake tin, spray well with cooking spray or line.
- In a large bowl add the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt and mix well until fully combined.
- Add to this the eggs, vanilla, oil and milk and blend well.
- Finally add the boiling water and carefully stir until completely blended together.
- Pour into your prepared cake tin and bake for 35-45 minutes (all tin sizes differ so check often after 30 minutes)
- In a medium sized bowl combine the icing sugar and cocoa powder and mix well.
- Add to this the melted butter and vanilla essence and stir well
- Add water a little at a time until you have your desired consistency
- Spread generously over the cake, allow to set, slice and serve!
- Store in an airtight container.
Try My Beet Chocolate Cake!
So it is as simple as that. I hope you enjoy this and many more recipes I have up on my blog.