I have made this three times this week! It is such a quick and delicious recipe that I have found excuses to make it for lots of occasions.
After my very long summer break I have enjoyed getting back into the kitchen and working on sharing more recipes on my blog. I recently asked on my Facebook page what people wanted to see from me this year. The answers were fantastic but all ran along a similar theme, EASY. While it is nice occasionally to create a masterpiece of baking that takes half the day in the kitchen the reality is people simply do not have that sort of time. But for those that still love to bake there are hundreds of recipes that can quickly be whipped up.
If you are familiar with my website you will know that I love No-Bake slices, they are so versatile, quick and best of all tasty. This one only has a handful of ingredients too so it makes it even better. There are lots of variations of this basic recipe floating around, some adding ginger and nuts, some without icing, some with icing as thick as the slice itself!
I thought I would give you the basic version I use and you can then get as fancy as you like with additions. This week I have made a simple one, one with crystallized ginger, one with lemon icing and one with chunks of white chocolate through it as well, so you can really play around with this recipe.
In regards to the icing, it makes a sweet slice sweeter so if you like you can leave it off altogether and simply dust with coconut before you set it. There are lots of gorgeous fluffy buttercream recipes available but for me I prefer to use my basic vanilla or lemon icing. It gives it just enough sweet flavour without overpowering the entire slice.
- 125 grams Butter, diced
- ½ Cup Brown Sugar, Packed
- ½ Tin Sweetened Condensed Milk (approx 180mls)
- 1 Cup Dried Apricots, chopped
- 1 x 250g Packet of Wine Biscuits (crushed)
- 2 Cups Icing Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Butter, Melted
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Essence
- 2-4 teaspoons Water
- ¼ cup Finely Desiccated Coconut (to decorate)
- Lightly grease a 25 x 25 cm slice tin, or prepare with baking paper, and set aside.
- Using a food processor (or with a rolling pin and a large ziplock bag), crush the biscuits to a fine or chunky crumb and set aside.
- Chop up the apricots and set aside.
- In a large sauce pan add the butter, brown sugar and condensed milk and heat gently until the butter has melted but do not boil, remove from the heat.
- Add the crushed biscuits and apricots to the saucepan and combine well with a large wooden spoon.
- Pour into the prepared tin, press mixture down firmly and smooth with the back of the spoon and then set aside and prepare the icing
- In a medium bowl add the icing sugar, melted butter and vanilla and stir to blend.
- Add water a teaspoon at a time, stirring well, until you have a thick but pour-able consistency.
- Spread this over the prepared slice, then sprinkle with the coconut.
- Place in the fridge to set, or overnight, then slice and store in the fridge until needed.
Be sure to subscribe to my email list to receive all my recipes as soon as I publish then, see the form below.