As part of my series of Lunchbox fillers I wanted to show you a few different recipes with cornflakes. Afghans are the big hit in our house, but this one is an alternative that uses every day ingredients and is sure to please the kids and adults alike! Cornflakes is always something we have in the house so it makes for a easy go to ingredient whether it is for savoury or sweet dishes.
This recipe makes a lovely buttery cookie with the added crunch of cornflakes and yummy chocolate chips as the special ingredient! My husbands comment was – “wow they are yum – but what’s the crunchy things in it?”…….hmm I need a more helpful taste tester given I told him it was a cornflake cookie! lol
They are super quick to whip up – melt the butter & sugar and set aside in the fridge to cool while you prepare the other ingredients and you will have the lovely smell of warm cookies in your home in no time!
- 150g butter
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1½ cups flour (you can sift - I never do!)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ cup chocolate chips or chocolate drops
- 2 cups cornflakes
- Preheat oven to 180C (355F)
- Melt butter and sugar together in a large saucepan or bowl (if melted in the microwave) stirring often.
- Set aside to cool - or pop in the fridge while you prepare other ingredients
- Stir in Egg and Vanilla
- Add Flour and Baking Powder and combine well
- Finally add the cornflakes & chocolate chips and stir until completely combined.
- Add tablespoon sized balls to a prepared tray spaced evenly apart, press down with a fork or the palm of your hand
- Bake for 11-14 minutes or until they are just golden brown on the bottom
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly on the tray before removing them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container for 5 days.
I hope you enjoy this quick easy Chocolate Chip Cornflake Cookie – if you like this there are a few other cornflake cookies and slice recipes – just check under the sweet treats tab above.
I love to hear your comments or let me know when you give this one a try. You can follow this blog via email or on any of my social media accounts above.